Friday 16 January 2009

Not quite the best cookies in the world

I make the best cookies in the world. It's a bold claim, I know, but I think it's justified. I'm going to Helen's tonight to play cards, so I thought I'd bake a quick batch of cookies and bring them along. In my haste, things went slightly awry. I realised after I put it in the oven that I weighed out way too much flour (nearly twice what should have gone in), but never mind. I thought the mixture looked unusually thick - I even let it down with a bit of milk. As a result, the cookies didn't really spread out like they normally do and ended up raising up a bit like a cake. I'm sure they'll still be edible, even if they're not as good as they normally are. But I must make absolutely clear, this is not a batch of the greatest cookies in the world. But anyway, here's the recipe as it should have been made.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Ingredients:
  • 40g Butter
  • 40g Caster sugar
  • 40g Soft brown sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 tsp Almond essence
  • 75g Self-raising flour
  • 50g Dark chocolate
  • 25g Whole blanched almonds
Method
  1. Cream the butter and both types of sugar together with a fork.
  2. Add the egg and almond essence and beat until smooth.
  3. Chop up the chocolate into small pieces (much better than shop-bought chocolate chips!).
  4. Sift the flour into the mixture and add the chocolate and the almonds to the mixture. Fold in with a wooden spoon.
  5. Spoon onto greased baking trays spaced well apart and bake in a preheated oven at 190C/Gas Mark 5 for 10-12 minutes until golden.
  6. They will be somewhat soft while they are still hot - use a fish slice or a spatula to remove them from the tray before they cool (otherwise they stick like anything!) and put them on a wire rack to cool... or better still, eat them while they're hot!
As you can see, they still look (just about) like cookies. They're a little hard, a little dry and I bet they'll be a little bland too, but that's to be expected if you add too much flour. Ah well, you win some, you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment